Many of us face pressure to set a good example to others as the only poly people they know. When you throw parenting into the mix, it’s a whole other barrel of monkeys. What extra challenges do parents face in regards to raising kids in a culture that’s convinced polyamory is inherently harmful?
We will be discussing:
- The kinds of support are available to us, as those parents or parents-to-be;
- Empathetic communication: effective tools on communicating with children and extended family members about non-monogamy;
- Knowing your rights: Tackling fears about being “out” as a non-traditional family (ie. work, school, family and children services);
- The single parent and non-monogamy: How this family structure comes with its own set of obstacles;
- Using visual tools to help explain family dynamics;
- Blended families: divorce, new partners, and combined families;
- Extra challenges: the intersection of parenting while kinky & poly.
Presented by Polyamory Toronto